Writing System Latin alphabetContains 26 letters
Language Speakers 115,000 million90% native speakers
Difficulty Level MediumModerate effort required
German Info Card
This page contains a list of fun facts about German. This information would be useful to novice as well as advanced learners.
- German is the language most spoken in Europe as a mother tongue (95 million speakers) followed by English and Italian.
- German is the official language of Germany, Belgium, Austria, Switzerland, Luxembourg, and Lichtenstein.
- There are about 15 to 20 million speakers of German as their second language.
- German is the third most studied language in the U.S and Europe after English and Spanish.
- In the scientific field, German is the second most popular language.
- German is ranked 3rd for the number of websites written in this language.
- Germany is ranked 5th in the world for its book publications.
- The languages most similar to German are Afrikaans, Dutch, and English.