Writing System Finnish alphabetContains 29 letters
Language Speakers 6 million90% native speakers
Difficulty Level MediumModerate effort required
Finnish Info Card
- Finnish is the most common language of Finland
- A minority speaks Finnish in Sweden
- The Kven language, a dialect of Finnish, is spoken in Northern Norway.
- The number of speakers in Finnish is almost 6 million
- Finnish athletes have won more Summer Olympic medals per capita than any other nation. As of 2012, Finland had won in total 302 Summer Olympic medals (incluidng 101 gold medals) for a population of only 5.4 million. That is an average of 55.9 medals (18.7 gold medals) per million people.
- Finland has been at the top of the worldwide Press Freedom Ranking list every year since the publication of the first index by Reporters Without Borders in 2002.
- According to the 2007 UNICEF report on child well-being in rich countries, Finland has the highest level of academic achievements of all surveyed countries for reading, mathematics and sciences. However, it also has the lowest percentage of children 'liking school a lot' (only 8%).
- According to the World Audit study, Finland is the least corrupt and most democratic country in the world as of 2012.